Saturday, February 6, 2010

To learn in class, or not to learn, that is the question...

As I sit in class actually wanting to learn something, I realize, I'm not actually learning anything, and what I do learn, is stuff I learned in grade school. Keep in mind, I'm 25 and grade school was a long time ago for me. I have two classes that this is the case for. One of these classes, however, is called 'Earth Through Time,' in which all of the notes that we've done so far. I had with the same teacher two summers ago in a class called 'Earth in Action.' Sometimes, I wonder if teachers, at least college teachers, even try any more? Seriously, what's the point in going to a class where you're learning the same stuff you learned two years ago with the same teacher, but a different class? Or learning stuff that you learned in the fifth grade? Not only is it a waste of my time, but it's a waste of my money to pay for a class, that I know most of the information for already. Furthermore, both of these classes, the only grades that count as part of you grade are the exams. However, although these classes seem quite pointless, some people just aren't good test-takers, like me. So basing your grades only on tests is unfair to those people, unless the test is easy that a first grader could do it, but still it's not an accurate calculation on how well you know the material without homework to show more of your understanding of the material being presented.

My other class, 'Geology of the US,' I have actually learned more from going through my textbook than I actually learn in lecture. This class is so pointless, that on a typical day 30-40 people out of 120 actually show up to lecture. Most of us, are either do the Soduku in our college paper or on facebook, etc. not actually paying attention. Furthermore, he doesn't even follow the syllabus either. Our test this coming week is over chapters 1-3 and only chapter 2 in on the syllabus for next week's test, and 95% of the stuff that's in these chapters we have yet to cover in class, and classes started almost a month ago. So, I'm dreading the upcoming test. On that note, I'm going to start going through my text book and pulling out important info, along with my other classes to get on top of things.

DFTBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment